Old January 22nd 18, 05:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default 700c 25mm tires on Weinmann ZAC19 rims ok?

On 1/22/2018 2:27 AM, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 22 Jan 2018 07:08:51 +0100, Tosspot

On 2018-01-20, Joerg wrote:
Are 700c 25mm road bike tires ok on these or is that pushing it? The lip
to lip dimension inside is 19mm. Says 28 but maybe someone knows whether
25mm would fit.

http://www.weinmanntek.com/Products/MTB/ZAC19.htm

Reason I ask is because I could potentially get a nice rear wheel with
12ga spokes. My current one breaks spokes all the time plus the rim will
soon be up anyhow.

Not recommended. Use a 28mm or wider tire on a 19mm rim.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html#width

Additionally, on a frame/fork that can only accept 25mm or smaller
tires, your 25mm tire may end up too wide to fit when mounted on a
wide rim, so be careful.

You might look for wheels with double-butted spokes; they will be
stronger and you'll break fewer spokes!

I've done it, and it was marginal. Not so bad as a "NONO! Don't do
that!", but, well, a bit close.

Sheldon had a chart showing minimum and maximum tire and rim widths. I
don't think he was the originator of the chart as I
seen other versions, but from my limited use it seemed to be
sufficiently accurate.

That chart's toward the bottom at this URL:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

--
- Frank Krygowski