Old August 18th 03, 03:57 PM
Steven Scharf

Default Considering a Road bike for commuting... good idea?

"Mike Beauchamp" wrote in message ...
Hey all,
I'm considering purchasing a new bicycle (Maybe $800 CDN total) to replace
my nearly 8 year old Mongoose IBOC Pro mountain bike. I used to use it mainy
for offroad but a knee injury stopped that, and in the past few years I've
used it purely for commuting (10K's to school and back, 30-40K rides on
weekends, stuff like that).

I'm just wondering if purchasing a road bike would be more appropriate than
a mountain bike. I most certainly don't want to be one of those kids riding
on the side of the road with a fully suspended downhill mountain bike with
the seat all the way down bouncing up and down on each pedal stroke.

I commute on a road bike, but if I were buying a bike
strictly for commuting then I'd buy something like
the Trek T300.

Unfortunately it is sold at only one store in all of
North America.
"http://bikegallery.com/site/intro.cfm"

If you're in Vancouver then it wouldn't
be too much of a drive.