Old August 18th 03, 11:44 PM
Harpie

Default Considering a Road bike for commuting... good idea?

I'd like to add another suggestion, and I hope I'm not repeating someone
else (I've been on vacation for the past week):

You might want to check your local police department for a bike auction. You
can sometimes find a very good road bike for half of its original cost, or
even less.

I also would suggest that you carefully examine where you're going to keep
your bike at work. Is there a secured area where only you have the key? A
bike locker?

Where I work (at a university) we have had nearly a dozen bicycles stolen
this summer, six of them worth close to $10,000. The bikes were kept in a
locked bicycle cage, but the thieves just lifted the door off its hinges and
off they went. The second round of thefts they just blasted through the door
with a cart or other motorized vehicle. The building management responded by
forbidding people from bringing their bikes to work (asshats!). I now keep
my bicycle in my office, which brings the security guards a runnin' but
until they provide a safe place for my bike that's the solution.

Good luck. I'd be cautious about spending a lot of money on a bike to ride
to work. Thieves can spot quality a long way off and it's a pain in the rear
to lose something you've spent a lot of money on. I ride a 20-year old trek
and have not had any problems (and I use a U-lock).
Marianne

"Mike Beauchamp" wrote in message
Thanks for the help... I think definately trying one out is in order!

Mike
http://mikebeauchamp.com