Old August 16th 04, 03:15 AM
dreaded

"Douglas Harrington" wrote in message
om...
Alright, another newbie here...

Just starting to get into the sport at age 15 after finding a route to
the local bikepath in Rhode Island. Been riding one of those generic
wal-mart mountain bikes for the past few years. Half the gears don't
work and the ones that do can be fussy at times (like the lower gears
not locking in place as you approach a stop sign). One of the gears
is completely ruined as one of the teeth on it tore off, causing the
gear to tear in half (wow this stuff is made cheap). Luckily the
gears I use most often (7 and 5) work okay.

im mostly a lurker and a newbie too but this is a very knowledgeable and
friendly group...
my own newbie thoughts:
-wal-mart is evil. better to shop at your LBS. better for the small
business, better for workers, the economy and general well being of the
bicycling industry- and you'll get a better bike too!

On the local bike path i've noticed people on what I believe are
called 'road bikes' (the thin tires). While I am struggling to hold
17mph these people, some looking in their mid 60s+ are speeding past
me. It seems whenever I see someone else on a mountain bike they are
struggling like myself. Are road bikes capable of faster speeds or is
it just the fact that I am just starting out and can't move that fast
yet?

-road bikes are faster for several reasons. firstly since there is thinner
tire contact with road = less friction. they are also more aerodynamic and
much lighter.

Also, what type of bike would suit me best? - I ride on residential
streets almost all the time unless I am on the bike path (which is
paved as well). Just not sure how well something other than a
mountain bike would handle on the roads I have to go down to get to
the bike path - the shoulders are small and almost covered in sand,
gravel and other debris (such as the tar grit from the last hole the
DPW decided to dig).

you might check out some of the new cyclocross bikes if yor have some dough.
they seem very versatile. it sound like you could also get away with a road
or touring bike with the right tires, just might need to watch out for that
sand! i have a touring bike that i use all over the city. it's not good for
hopping curbs but it's fast. if you dont have the dough for a new bike at
least ditch the knobby tires and put on some slicks. this will make the most
difference.

Electronics... I have a garmin GPS which I wear around my neck when I
head out, but am wondering what other items there are that people use
while biking. The GPS has a handlebar mount but I am afraid of it
being stolen or damaged if I were to crash (took a corner too fast a
few months ago at an intersection and hit a steep curb - had the gps
been on the handlebars it would have been damaged).

why use a gps when on the road? i just use maps.

What are the major differences between a mountain bike like mine and a
'road bike'? (Physical differences and how they ride/feel)

many differences. mtb riding position is more upright, they are slower,
heavier, the gears are lower, they usually have heavy suspension systems not
needed on the street, they are more durable, the wheels are much stronger.
road and touring bikes: see above

Is it better/cheaper to build a bike or to buy one pre-built? (And
what sites are there that sell bikes/parts?)

no question. buy one unless you know where to get free parts!

Not sure if I could build or buy a better bike with a few hundred
dollars but am interested in seeing whats out there (and building one
would be a nice project).

others in this group seem to like the trek line of bikes. i've never had a
trek. most important thing is to find one that "fits"
-alan

-Thanks for any help/info