Old September 8th 03, 01:04 AM
A Muzi

Default Discovery Tires...was...Road bike seat height?

From: "Ken Bessler"

I have the following bike setup:
snip

Tires - Discovery Kevlar CyclePro 700x25

First time that I've seen these tires mentioned here.
I've been buying them for years from REI but they've since been replaced

by the
Avenir Discovery Kevlar Belted 700x25c which are said to be identical

(same
tire) to the Cycle Pro albeit now made in Korea. I can't tell the

difference.
At $15.00 per, it might be a tire to consider for those who ride city

streets
like I do and often lose tires to cuts. Had to give up $30.00+

tires...too
expensive.
I obviously like them and wouldn't mind seeing a review from someone more
knowledgable than me.
I wish they still made the Schwinn Record, a good, expendable tire, I

thought.

CyclePro was the house brand* of West Coast Cycle ( Nishiki, nee American
Eagle; also Azuki). That company and many others were acquired by Raleigh.
The classic CyclePro tires were made by IRC as were the house brand
Avenir/TourMate tires from WSI/DiamondBack (Centurion). That company was
also folded into the Raleigh organization.

Last year after yet another corporate reorganization at Raleigh (will it
just be annual?) , the many carryover brands were "rationalized" so they
weren't selling twenty versions of the same product. Many line items/labels
were dropped or rebadged. Sounds to me as if your vendor is a Raleigh
customer. If you look around you'll find that tire available under various
labels both from IRC/Korea and still from IRC/Japan at a higher price.

Your Schwinn Puff, SuperSport and Record were by
Panasonic/Matsu****a/Panaracer in Japan. Equal quality to IRC if not better
in some cases.

IRC/Korea tires at $15 "expendable"? OK. IRC/Indonesia tires sell for
$7.50. That's expendable! (only in 27", not 700C)

*WCC also had a very cute brand name, "MIJON" , that was an acronym of "Made
in Japan -Or Nearby" . WCC used that for econo second-quality parts at one
time.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org