Old September 8th 03, 08:11 PM
Rick Onanian

Default Road bike seat height?

On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 08:36:39 -0600, Ken Bessler wrote:
I have the following bike setup:

How do I adjust the seat height? I'm thinking the formula
would be frame size + crank arm + distance from top of
frame to top of seat should equal my inseam, right? Or not?

I can just reach the street with both toes when sitting on
the seat but when riding, at the bottom of each stroke,
my legs are still bent and at the top of each stroke I feel
a bit cramped......help?

See
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html

Mostly, put it up as high as is comfortable. You
probably won't be able to touch the ground with a
toe if it's at the most efficient height. Your
legs should be almost straight at the bottom of
the stroke.

You seem to already know when it's too low; it's
too high when you're uncomfortable, or when your
hips rock side to side while you pedal. Somewhere
in between those extremes is your comfort zone.

Ken

--
Rick Onanian