Old April 7th 20, 12:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Merriman[_4_]

Default Road tires versus mtb tires

Andy wrote:
I use my mountain bike mostly on roads and am thinking of getting some road tires.

Will the tread last as long as mtb tires ?

Andy

Depending on what you do, and how off road you still go? My commute bike is
a old MTB, of which I’ve settled on Big Apples as they feel nice, they seem
to shrug off glass and gravel type shards, and you can clip along well,
thus far put close on 4K on them with little signs of wear.

I’m unconvinced by using road slicks on a MTB as you lose the balloon bike
effect and any gains are marginal if at all, most slicks for MTB are hard
wearing commuter types than racy.

Roger Merriman