Old April 7th 20, 01:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ted Heise

Default Road tires versus mtb tires

On Mon, 06 Apr 2020 19:55:23 -0500,
AMuzi wrote:
On 4/6/2020 6:17 PM, Andy wrote:
I use my mountain bike mostly on roads and am thinking of
getting some road tires.

Will the tread last as long as mtb tires ?

Probably more but in my experience worn-through-tread is a
failure mostly found on children's CB bicycles. Your typical
adult bike tires more often fail from sidewall cuts or road
debris.

Interesting. Maybe it's not within the realm of what you consider
typical adult bike tires, but the last half dozen tandem tires
I've replaced have all been the rear--and due to cord showing on
the center of the tread. My wife and I stand to climb quite a
lot, so that may be a factor in the wear.

As an aside, it's always the rear that needs replacing, because
when it's time to change I rotate the old front tire to the back
and put the new one on the front.

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA