Old April 7th 20, 04:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Road tires versus mtb tires

On Tuesday, April 7, 2020 at 7:17:26 AM UTC-7, Andy wrote:
On Monday, April 6, 2020 at 7:05:14 PM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 4/6/2020 7:17 PM, Andy wrote:
I use my mountain bike mostly on roads and am thinking of getting some road tires.

Will the tread last as long as mtb tires ?

Probably not, especially if you're running full knobbies, with big
separate blocks of rubber contacting the road. But if you go to a smooth
tire, the bike will roll so much better it will easily be worth it.

Unless, that is, you're the kind of guy who values the pennies spent per
mile more than anything else.

I'd recommend slick road tires, i.e. no tread at all. I made the same
recommendation to a neighbor who was getting ready for his first 50 mile
event, and he was very grateful.

What kind of tires are you using now?

--
- Frank Krygowski

I am using Seyoun NJK tires.

Andy

If you're commuting or riding almost entirely on hard surfaces, road tires will far outlast knobbies which normally have a pretty thin casing between the knobs.