Old May 12th 18, 11:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Default Dynamo/LED power conditioning

David Scheidt writes:

Frank Krygowski wrote:
:On 5/11/2018 4:10 PM, David Scheidt wrote:
: Frank Krygowski wrote:
: :On 5/10/2018 11:19 PM, David Scheidt wrote:
: : Frank Krygowski wrote:
: : :On 5/10/2018 6:15 PM, John B. wrote:
: : :
: : : I suspect that you, like I, are what might be called a sensible rider.
: : : RE, door zones, just slow down a bit so you have time to dodge the
: : : door if necessary.
: :
: : :Um... no, that's not sensible.
: :
: : :Consider what happens if you're riding just 15 kph and a driver pops his
: : :door open as you pass his rear bumper. There's no way to stop in time.
: :
: : :If you're lucky, you'll hit his door squarely and crumple beneath it. If
: : :you're unlucky, you'll snag the door edge with your right handlebar, the
: : :bike will steer to the right, your body will be thrown down to the left,
: : :and the motor vehicle you were worried about will run over you.
: :
: : :Unlike mountain lion attacks, dooring really is a danger. Most states
: : :don't record it as a car-bike collision, because they record those only
: : :if the car was moving. But Chicago did keep track, and found that
: : :something like 20% of car-bike crashes were doorings.
: :
: : And we have a $1000 fine for causing an accident by dooring -- and the
: : cops write the tickets.
: :
: : on't ride in the door zone. Just don't.
: :
: : Yeah, you live in smallsville. If I don't ride in the door zone, it
: : takes me three times as long to get to work.
:
: :Why are those the only choices? Details, please. What happens if you
: :move a few feet left?
:
: My commute invovles riding past a mile (literally, one mile) of cars
: that are stopped at stop signs or lights. Riding between them and
: parked cars gets me to the light or sign in one cycle. Moving to the
: left puts me in stopped traffic.

:OK. That's an unusual situation, one that I think is quite rare. We

Sounds like progress. Several years ago I described riding past more
than a mile of cars on a typical commute (not even properly in the
city), and you simply refused to concede that such a thing was possible,
never having observed it in your global travels.

Dude, it's what anyone who rides in ****ing city experiences every
day.

:If that's what you're dealing with, I'd suggest riding _really_ slow,
:and perhaps making noise as you ride. As I hinted to John, at anything

Why the **** don't I just walk then?