Old May 15th 05, 04:25 PM
Cathy Kearns

"Scott en Aztlán" wrote in message
On Sat, 14 May 2005 19:56:14 -0400, "WeatherGuy"
wrote:

This behaviour by the cyclist was unacceptable. The "****head" was
unacceptable as well. There are times when it is necessary for safety
reasons to ride on a sidewalk

Riding a bicycle on the sidewalk is against California law. There are
no exceptions for "safety reasons."

Yet police are not shy about inviting children to ride on the sidewalk on
some routes close to schools to keep them out of danger. I've seen it done
in person in my little town. In a Palo Alto there are many road signs in
similar neighborhoods that say "Bicyclist may use sidewalks". I expect these
are directed at the younger riders.

Last time I took my 10 year old daughter on a 10 mile odyssey I had pulled
out my beater hybrid and she was on her mountain bike and we were heading
along at a decent pace on the local MUP, slowing to carefully pass
pedistrians when two guys on road bikes in full kits screamed by us. She
was very surprised (I saw them coming in my mirror.) I explained that
apparently they were very lost.