Old November 5th 08, 02:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Default my ride today

Per Mark Cleary:
and I could basically ride much longer no problems with being
tired or wipe out but going faster with the wind was scary. I find at 25
mph and any sudden gust of wind are a bit of a balance problem and I get
thinking this is fast to me. I also found my neck was a bit sore from
looking around and using my review mirror at times. I was only on county
roads but I hate cars an trucks it is best to be in deserted rodes for
speed.

I find at 47 my sense of danger in speed is conservative and my balance
is not what it was 20 years ago. I guess I could have easily road 50
miles it some sense although my butt would be sore. I should mention I
did run 9 miles in the morning before this bike ride or it would have
been faster and better. I feel like a lone eagle out on the rode

I used to ride a lot on the roads. Was doing the 88 miles to
Long Beach Island in under four hours at one time. Used to race
Philadelphia rush-hour traffic 23 miles to and from work 3 days a
week.

Then cell phones came along..... and then text messaging and
email.

Dunno about my sense of danger in speed - because I can't get
that much speed up anymore.... but my sense of danger on roads
where motor vehicles are closing on me at 50+ is greatly
heightened..... so I don't do that anymore.

MTB for me. It's not for everybody, but if you live someplace
where you can get the desired miles in off-pavement - or at least
away from cars - I'd recommend at least giving it a try.

Besides everybody ought to have at *least* two bikes..... -)
--
PeteCresswell