Old November 5th 08, 04:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Art Harris

Default my ride today

Mark Cleary wrote:
I am basically a long distance runner who has moved to riding a bike
about once a week to keep the pounding down. I have in the past and I
wanted to post this for a bit of feedback for someone who is into biking
as this group is most of the time. I have rode bike a Mercier I bought
in July and I love it have about 300 miles on it. I did my longest ride
today it was beautiful day but a little winding from the west. I went
out 14 miles into a side/headwind

I could basically ride much longer no problems with being
tired or wipe out but going faster with the wind was scary. I find at 25
mph and any sudden gust of wind are a bit of a balance problem and I get
thinking this is fast to me. I also found my neck was a bit sore from
looking around and using my review mirror at times. I was only on county
roads but I hate cars an trucks it is best to be *in deserted rodes for
speed.

I find at 47 my sense of danger in speed is conservative and my balance
is not what it was 20 years ago. I guess I could have easily road 50
miles it some sense although my butt would be sore. I should mention I
did run 9 miles in the morning before this bike ride or it would have
been faster and better.

Sounds like you're having fun. Try to keep it that way.

The neck and saddle soreness will likely ease as you do more riding.
Or you may need to tweak your fit by adjusting the saddle position,
handlebar height and reach.

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm

You seem very focused on speed and distance. I would suggest that at
this point, you take it easy, and increase your distance and speed
gradually. If your main reason for cycling is to augment your running
routine, you'll want to ride fast enough to get your heart rate up.
But speed isn't always directly related to effort as you found out.
Hills and wind make a big difference.

You will get a pretty good workout if you just ride for the fun of it.
Forget the GPS, and enjoy the scenery. The more you ride, the more
confident you'll feel on the bike even at higher speeds and in
traffic. The main thing is to stay relaxed, and not have a death grip
on the bars. This is supposed to be fun! The more you enjoy riding,
the more miles you'll do.

Art Harris