Old November 5th 08, 07:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default my ride today

On Nov 4, 5:31 pm, Mark Cleary wrote:
I am basically a long distance runner who has moved to riding a bike
about once a week to keep the pounding down. I have in the past and I
wanted to post this for a bit of feedback for someone who is into biking
as this group is most of the time. I have rode bike a Mercier I bought
in July and I love it have about 300 miles on it. I did my longest ride
today it was beautiful day but a little winding from the west. I went
out 14 miles into a side/headwind it about 55 minutes then I turned
around and what a blast. I went for the next 13 miles at a pace around
21 mph on my garmin gps. I find it similar to the feeling I had when I
first ran for over 1 hours straight with no stops. This of course was 25
years ago but now on the bike I enjoy the same feeling. I guess my
question relates to what other do. I rode 27 miles today in 1 hour and
35 minutes and I could basically ride much longer no problems with being
tired or wipe out but going faster with the wind was scary. I find at 25
mph and any sudden gust of wind are a bit of a balance problem and I get
thinking this is fast to me.,,,

Try riding your road bike on dirt for a while, will aid greatly in
balance and stability.