Old November 6th 08, 05:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

Default my ride today

In article ,
Mark Cleary wrote:

I am basically a long distance runner who has moved to riding a bike
about once a week to keep the pounding down. I have in the past and I
wanted to post this for a bit of feedback for someone who is into biking
as this group is most of the time. I have rode bike a Mercier I bought
in July and I love it have about 300 miles on it. I did my longest ride
today it was beautiful day but a little winding from the west. I went
out 14 miles into a side/headwind it about 55 minutes then I turned
around and what a blast. I went for the next 13 miles at a pace around
21 mph on my garmin gps. I find it similar to the feeling I had when I
first ran for over 1 hours straight with no stops. This of course was 25
years ago but now on the bike I enjoy the same feeling. I guess my
question relates to what other do. I rode 27 miles today in 1 hour and
35 minutes and I could basically ride much longer no problems with being
tired or wipe out but going faster with the wind was scary. I find at 25
mph and any sudden gust of wind are a bit of a balance problem and I get
thinking this is fast to me. I also found my neck was a bit sore from
looking around and using my review mirror at times. I was only on county
roads but I hate cars an trucks it is best to be in deserted rodes for
speed.

I find at 47 my sense of danger in speed is conservative and my balance
is not what it was 20 years ago. I guess I could have easily road 50
miles it some sense although my butt would be sore. I should mention I
did run 9 miles in the morning before this bike ride or it would have
been faster and better. I feel like a lone eagle out on the rode and
would appreciate any thoughts on what someone does for a work out. I
normally ride my bike about 20 miles at a shot once a week but I am
finding I really would need to go for a ride of about 50 miles to see
the limits are what my body responds to.

I started a thread some month ago asking about a Mercier bike and I have
to say it has been great no problems, no flats, I did lub the chain
today for the first time and I noticed a difference.

Bicycle handling is a skill that can be improved.
Practice riding a straight line at all speeds.
Observe what makes you deviate from a straight line.
Do not judge. Happy trails.

--
Michael Press