Old July 16th 09, 01:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default need new rear rack for my Electra Amsterdam

On Jul 16, 12:10*am, Jay wrote:
My OEM rear rack has broken, on the weld which joins the horizontal
piece to one of the vertical supports. I don't want to buy an exact
replacement, and then go through the process again every 15 months. I
only carry my relatively small and light Ortlieb Bike Box on the rear
rack, so IMO it was not overloaded.

I am looking for a very strong, well designed, black rear rack. I am
going to have my LBS order and install the rack. So if something is
not right, it is their headache. I just need to point my LBS in the
right direction. I do want to continue to use my Bike Box on the new
rack, for convenient commuting.

Any suggestions?

http://www.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/el...tpost-left.jpg

http://www.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/el...yal8-08-08.jpg

J.

Get the best, buy a Tubus. Since all you put on it is the Ortlieb Bike
Box, get a Tubus Fly, which is a minimal lightweight rack. It is made
of steel but then that's part of the Tubus policy; their rack lasts
and last. The Fly is a available in black.

Tubus also makes ali racks under another name, Racktime. I have one
and it is good but I don't think any of the ali racks are actually
lighter than the chro-mo Fly (instead they offer extra rails for
tourers that you aren't interested in), so you may as well get the
Fly.

You need to check that your Bike Box will fit but, Tubus and Ortlieb
both being German companies, it is extremely like that it will.

HTH.

Andre Jute
Check out Andre's recipes at
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/FOOD.ht