Old May 3rd 20, 07:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Does anyone know good thorn-resistant tubes?

On 2020-05-02 19:10, sms wrote:
On 4/30/2020 3:03 PM, Joerg wrote:
Just had a Kenda thorn-resistant tube fail. It lost pressure suddenly
and overnight without being ridden the day before. It started to split
along a factory seam. This seems to happen ever since they started
making them less than the usual 3mm thick towards the rim.

Does anyone know who still makes the real stuff, 3mm thick all around?
Or maybe another good version thorn-resistant tube? I am running 700c
25mm tires with an additional tire liner in there. Might go to 28mm in
back some day.

The only time I ever lost 3mm all-around tubes was upon violent tire
blow-outs (sidewall failure).

Your problem is not with the tubes, it's with the tires. What you want
is Schwalbe Marathon Plus HS 440 11100766.01 700C x 25.

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...0c-tire-hs-440

Fifty bucks a tire? No! I bet those don't last much past 2000mi either
and then that's too much money. If they'd last 5000mi it would be ok.

In fact, the blowouts were mostly with expensive brand name tires,
Continental Gatorskin. Never had one with Vee Rubber or Vittoria, so
far. I get between 1200mi and 2000mi out of these depending on where I
ride. Mostly less than 1500mi but at about $15 a pop that's ok.

... But beware that
the protection layer adds some height to the tire and it may not fit on
all road bicycles with caliper brakes.

Weight is the least of my concerns or no concern at all. I just want
stuff not to fail during rides. So all my bikes have tire liners plus
thorn-resistant tubes. The MTB has a regular tube around the tire liner
in addition. Rides like a tank, and no flats.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/