Old May 5th 20, 09:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default Does anyone know good thorn-resistant tubes?

On 4/5/20 2:26 am, wrote:
On Sunday, May 3, 2020 at 6:16:08 PM UTC+2, Frank Krygowski wrote:

After reading here about the horrors of goat head thorns, I was very
worried before doing some rides or a tour out west. But we never had one
goat head flat.

I know my bicycling life is charmed (um, knock wood; or give thanks to
La Madonna del Ghisallo and St. Christopher).

But I wonder if I was just lucky, or if I was not riding in goat head
areas, or if my lack of flats was due to my tendency to ride away from
the road's edge.

Car tires do sweep roads clean.

It was pure luck or the time of the year.

I would say Frank improved his chances of not getting a goat head thorn
puncture by riding further from the edge.

I notice a lot more glass fragments and other rubbish just to the left
(right in the US) of the fog line. I avoid riding there, especially in
wet weather. I seem to lead a charmed life regarding punctures. It's
more usual for me to wear a tyre to the carcase than suffer a puncture,
where I live now.

--
JS