Old January 15th 19, 04:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default New Year's Resolution

On Sunday, January 13, 2019 at 8:11:28 PM UTC-8, Joy Beeson wrote:
Thursday, 3 January 2019

My resolution for this year is to wear my cleats before the first of
October. Double points if they are the fleece-lined shoes and I need
to wear bread bags over them.

I have, optimistically, been saving bread bags.

Since my walking shoes are sandals, to block the wind I wear newspaper
sleeves over two pairs of socks, and put on a pair of knee hose to
hold them in place. So far this winter I haven't needed foot
windbreakers, but I keep a pair of knee hose in my tool kit and make
sure I have several newspaper sleeves just in case.

The newspaper sleeves have been useful for other things -- when I
found some ripe catnip last fall, putting the twigs I cut off into a
newspaper sleeve kept me from losing any seed on the way home.

Today, I accidentally bought a pile comforter -- a very thick blanket
-- for ninety-nine cents. After rolling it as tightly as I could, I
stuffed one end into a grocery bag. (I carry a bag of bags at all
times; they come in handy for all sorts of things.) Then I needed to
tie the handles together to keep that bag from skinning back as I
stuffed the other end into another bag, but the handles lacked inches
of meeting.

Then I saw a stray newspaper sleeve in my empty pannier. It stretched
rather alarmingly when I pulled fiercely to tighten the grocery bag,
but held, and I tied it in a bow knot.

I didn't un-wrap it when I got home. Weather Underground says that
Saturday will be a good day to ride, and Google Maps says that going
to Aldi by way of the animal shelter will be eleven miles round trip,
which is about right for the third excursion of my come-back.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

It was a good ride. Pity I have no other reason to go to the animal
shelter.

I chickened out of tomorrow's dump tour. I didn't feel like packing
the bike this evening.

J.B.

Hi Joy.
I always enjoy reading your posts, even if I seldom post replies.

About four years ago I made a New Year's resolution to not make any more New Year's resolutions, since I never did seem to keep them.
I am happy to report that I have successfully kept that resolution ever since.

Pureheart in Aptos

P.S.-I've also enjoyed my visits to your website.