Old March 7th 19, 05:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default New Year's Resolution

On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 23:11:26 -0500, Joy Beeson
wrote:

Thursday, 3 January 2019

My resolution for this year is to wear my cleats before the first of
October. Double points if they are the fleece-lined shoes and I need
to wear bread bags over them.

I have, optimistically, been saving bread bags.

I realized today that I'll never wear my fleece-lined shoes again:
to change into sandals, I'd need to change socks too, and that's a bit
much when one is sitting on a cold iron bench. Better to put on
walking shoes and stay in them.

I do remember peeling off a layer of socks before putting on my
cleats, and putting them back on when I got where I was going. That
was when my metabolism ran a bit faster.

I must have been a bit of a wimp the last twenty years. I'm pretty
sure that today was the first time I've had to deal with a frozen
water-bottle valve since we moved from New York to Indiana.

Perhaps this was because it was my least-favored bottle; it's possible
that I haven't used it in cold weather before. Two better bottles
were in the pannier keeping warm. The bottle itself never froze, and
I was able to clear the valve by closing it and opening it again.

The original plan was to ride to the Chinworth Bridge and come back by
way of Penguin Point (local fast-food chain). But after I'd plowed
through a cold wind to where Rotary Park is going to be, I thought
about the acres and acres of mowed lawn on both sides of Chinworth
Trail, hung a right at the ball park, and went zig-zag to Penguin
Point.

I wanted to say "straight to Penguin Point" but the residential
streets don't allow straight-line riding.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net