Old August 21st 05, 01:03 PM
Ivar Hesselager

Default Shimano chains - rivet reuse?

Sun, 21 Aug 2005 08:46:29 GMT, Martin skrev:
..

I am interested in readers' opinions and experience regarding the safety
and durability of this repair job. Do many people reuse rivets? Any
experiences of reused rivets working well? or failing?

Last time I reused a rivet on a Shimano chain, 3 years ago I broke the
chain in a short steep hill sprint, and I didn't discover what happened
till I found myself lying on the ground with scratched elbow and knee and
- worse - a scratched bike and a bent rear drop.
I haven't dared to experiment with reused pivets since. Extra rivets from
Shimano are ufairly expensive I think - so I use SRAM assembly links,
which are reusable - but should be changed with every new chain, according
to www.SRAM.com. It works fine with Shimano chains also.
Ivar