Old August 17th 18, 04:19 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,uk.rec.cycling
Joe

Default 'Death by dangerous cycling' law considered

On Fri, 17 Aug 2018 12:35:54 +0100
Yitzhak Isaac Goldstein wrote:

In uk.politics.misc Ophelia wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message

Yes, I agree! Many times when I have been stopped at traffic
lights, I see cyclists continuing straight through!!!

QED. This belief that cyclists 'don't stop at red lights' (or
that they fail to stop at red lights at a rate greater than car
drivers) is so absolutely and firmly entrenched in the car
driver's psyche, that it has been elevated almost to the level of
absolute truth. The sun rises in the east. Water boils at 100°
C. 1+1=2. Cyclists don't stop at red lights.

Except that it isn't true. It's quite fascinating - not only
that so many people can believe so fervently in a falsehood that
is becomes almost like a religion. But equally fascinating is
that public policy can be decided based on this complete
fantasy.

Except that it is true. At the moment, Whitechapel station has a
temporary entrance opposite a traffic-light pedestrian crossing
across the A11. A while ago, I had occasion to cross the road
there four times a week for a month or so.

More than half the time, at least one cyclist, sometimes half a
dozen would cross the crossing at about 20mph while I was walking
across. I never looked round, so I don't know if the same was
happening the other side of the road, but I see no reason to
assume otherwise.

On the other side of the road from Whitechapel station is the Royal
London Hospital, so a fair percentage of the pedestrians were not
too steady on their feet. I never actually saw a collision, nor do
I know how many of the bicycles had brakes, but the riders were
universally what my daughter, a cyclist herself, calls 'feral'
cyclists. Big helmets, heads down, oblivious to the world around
them...

So don't lie.

Agreed! He can dream all he likes but I do see them and they are
always as you describe - Ferals!

Remarkable! This is fascinating! Do you see unicorns prancing
around the fields too?

This really is fascinating. Two people who if asked would no doubt
consider themselves sane, rational and intelligent, but both
absolutely convinced of the prevalance of a phenomonem which in fact
is extremely rare. And both of them completely immune to reason.
The capacity for delusion is almost awe-inspiring.

Are you really sure you want to try to prove a negative? What are you
offering in lieu of evidence?

They may not do it where you live, but they certainly do here. The
crossing I mention is an extreme case: it's a wide, busy road with those
blue cycle paths on both sides, and there's no motor traffic crossing
it there, so from a cyclist's point of view there's little reason to
stop at the red light.

--
Joe