Old August 13th 18, 11:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Default Flat repair

jbeattie wrote:
On Saturday, August 11, 2018 at 7:47:38 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 8/11/2018 10:07 PM, Andy wrote:

Most of my flats show up when I am at home where it's easy to fix.

I should care a spare.

Absolutely! A spare tube, plus a patch kit in case of a two-flat
disaster day. And whatever tools are necessary to make the change.

Should I get one of those mini pumps or is one of those CO2 rigs worth it?

I remember one club ride where several CO2 rigs failed or were wasted -
for example, by trying to fill a tube that still had a hole in it. The
victim eventually borrowed my full sized frame pump to get on the road
again.

So I'd prefer a pump over CO2. And I prefer a full sized frame pump over
a mini pump, since the typical mini pump requires hundreds of strokes to
inflate a tire.

But others disagree, of course. YMMV.

A good C02 inflator with a good tube is very fast and effective. I'm a
convert, but I still take a mini-pump as a back-up, and on my commuter I
have a Topeak Road Morph which does a better job than my old Zefal and
has a built in gauge. Frame shape makes it difficult to use a full sized
frame pump on most of my bikes, and I now prefer hoses to pump-end heads.

-- Jay Beattie.

Yeah I hated losing my Zefal when I got the first Tarmac.
I use CO2 now but carry a small frame pump. It can be used in a pinch to
get me going but it’s some work.
The pump is helpful to put a couple pounds of air in the tube to form it
for installation though.

I don’t get many flats though. Maybe one or two a season. 1 so far this
season. Maybe people need better tires with flat protection?

--
duane