Old August 13th 18, 07:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Flat repair

On Monday, August 13, 2018 at 11:15:17 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Thursday, August 9, 2018 at 11:14:13 PM UTC-7, Andy wrote:
I had to repair a flat. Have some questions.

Is it best to apply patch to a completly flat tube?

I found a small copper wire in tire.

Is there something to minimize what can puncture tire?

Thanks

I am rather amazed at the reticence of bicyclists to use tubeless tires. Every other vehicle from commercial trucks to Indy racers use tubeless tires as a matter of course and have for decades. I warrant that most of you have never seen a car tire that uses a tube.

Can you people explain to me why you would buy innertubes, flat repair kits and various methods of inflating flatted tires when you don't have to flat a tire and only need to inflate it if you happen to get a large enough hole in it release sufficient air to soften the tire before it seals again? Furthermore tubeless tires have lower rolling resistance than either a normal clincher or even a tubular.

Bicycle tires have very little air in them so it doesn't take much of a hole to drain the air out. But the sealants available seal the tire so fast that virtually no air is lost.

Now, Mavic has studied the question very carefully and designed rims and tubeless tires that fit together with just the correct tightness. But my experience with Fulcrum/Campy rims and Michelin tires shows that this is not a difficult technology.

Now according to Mavic the difference between a tire that is too loose and will blow off a rim too easily and one that will be too difficult to install is only one mm in diameter. But typically this NOT a hard standard to achieve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOi4czjB1No

Most people aren't going to run out and replace their wheels. There are other reasons for sticking with tubes. https://janheine.wordpress.com/2017/...road-tubeless/

With that said, I fully intend to give tubeless a whirl on some OE wheels that are tubeless ready or compatible or whatever the terminology. More stuff to buy! More goopy substances! What's not to like about that?

-- Jay Beattie.