Old February 14th 19, 10:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tanguy Ortolo

Default Front cracking noise

Rolf Mantel, 2019-02-14 10:23+0100:
Am 14.02.2019 um 01:36 schrieb Sir Ridesalot:
Crikey! I sure wouldn't want a dynamo hub failure like that if I was riding far from home.

I've had a "normal" front hub fail in exactly the same way 20 years ago.
Luckily, the new 'quick-release' style hubs are mechanically more sturdy.

Well, if I prove unable to repair it and I have to buy a new one, a
quick release is out of the question. To me, quick release is a synonym
of quick breaking and quick stealing. Combine that with a hub dynamo,
and you add to that hard to repear and appealing to theves. Out of the
question.

I already started looking at the hub dynamo options, and I found at
least one manufacturer, Shutter Precision, that seems to only make quick
release ones, so that is one less to choose from, leaving only Shimano
and SON I think.

--
Tanguy