Old February 14th 19, 11:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Rolf Mantel[_2_]

Default Front cracking noise

Am 14.02.2019 um 11:54 schrieb Tanguy Ortolo:
Rolf Mantel, 2019-02-14 10:23+0100:
Am 14.02.2019 um 01:36 schrieb Sir Ridesalot:
Crikey! I sure wouldn't want a dynamo hub failure like that if I
was riding far from home.

I've had a "normal" front hub fail in exactly the same way 20 years
ago. Luckily, the new 'quick-release' style hubs are mechanically
more sturdy.

To me, quick release is a synonym of quick breaking and quick
stealing.

Talking more precisely, you can use the words 'hollow hub', and then
using a hollow hub with Pit-Locks is not a contradiction in terms any more.

Traditional full axles break occasionally, hollow hubs are a lot more
robust.