Old February 14th 19, 12:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

Default Front cracking noise

Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
Rolf Mantel, 2019-02-14 10:23+0100:
Am 14.02.2019 um 01:36 schrieb Sir Ridesalot:
Crikey! I sure wouldn't want a dynamo hub failure like that if I was riding far from home.

I've had a "normal" front hub fail in exactly the same way 20 years ago.
Luckily, the new 'quick-release' style hubs are mechanically more sturdy.

Well, if I prove unable to repair it and I have to buy a new one, a
quick release is out of the question. To me, quick release is a synonym
of quick breaking and quick stealing. Combine that with a hub dynamo,
and you add to that hard to repear and appealing to theves. Out of the
question.

Opt for a silver-colored one then, they look cheaper even before anti-theft
uglification.

I already started looking at the hub dynamo options, and is seems that
among the three manufacturers, two of them, SON and SP, are only making
quick release hub dynamos, so that only leaves me Shimano to choose
from, making the choice easier to make.

This time, get a spare, Shimanos are cheap.

https://www.cnc-bike.de/index.php?cPath=25
(a no-frills shop; shipping is 10,50 to .be)