Old May 18th 21, 04:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

Default Weights of my bikes

On Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 8:38:32 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Op dinsdag 18 mei 2021 om 17:05:44 UTC+2 schreef jbeattie:
On Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 7:42:19 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Monday, May 17, 2021 at 12:05:58 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Op maandag 17 mei 2021 om 19:39:41 UTC+2 schreef :
Colnago CLX3.0 bare - 15.8 lbs
Lemond Zurich bare - 20.3 lbs
Douglas Vector with seatpack. - 17.4
Douglas Ti with water bottle and seat pack. - 20.3 lbs.
Eddy Merckx with bottle half full and heavy seatpack - 20.8

My 2018 Trek Emonda bare was 17.5 lbs.

As you can see, aluminum bikes do not necessary have a weight penalty. Nor are titanium bikes particularly light.

I would say that since about 2001 that most decent bikes couldn't be declared as "heavy". The complete Look KG585 which was a light climbing bike was 16 lbs even bare.
With off the shelf parts 2014 and a heavy saddle:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/N8frpRqH5fuj2tuA6
https://photos.app.goo.gl/PMxriEU7B8VVnMieA
Still my climbing bike,
According to those here you are taking your life in your hands with a fatigue prone titanium bike that weighs in under 15 lbs.

Who said that? Moreover, Lou's Ti Moots gravel bike probably comes in closer to 18lbs, assuming he has some reasonably fat tires on it. His 15lb bike is a Canyon CF road bike.

What people said is NOT that modern Ti is failure prone but that it is not immune from failure as you said. Like any other material, it can fail for a number of reasons -- and failures can occur after infancy. I do not know where Ti stands in terms of failure rate compared to aluminum, steel and CF, but I would assume well made Ti frames have a lower failure rate than steel or aluminum because of the character of the metals and their fatigue limits. Ti is a nice material, and I don't think anyone disputes that here.

-- Jay Beattie.

My Ti Moots is 9.6 kg with 37 mm gravel tires and 9.3 kg with 32 mm Continental GP 5000 road tires. My Aeroad is 7.25 kg. All weights including pedals and 2 bottle cages.

I must have misread your scale which I thought showed 6.64 kg.