Old May 20th 04, 01:43 AM
Mike Kruger

Default Bike Stores Endangerd Because of Super Chain Stores?

"smyrna45" wrote in message

When I was buying these parts, I was amazed that my local Walmart and
TheSportsAuthority didn't even carry a tire (old 27x1.25) for the bike,

and
forget buying cables, derailers, etc. in bulk, In fact, I had a hard time
finding a decent spoke wrench and chain tool there. My LBS has beome a
regular stop on my daily rides. I was also amazed that the LBS is thriving
not 2 miles from the Walmart. Could have something to do with the fact

that
not only does Walmart or TheSportsAuthority have a new bike I would

consider
buying, but their parts selection is as I said awful.

And why carry parts?
If you don't carry parts, people get tempted to go to the "buy new" side of
the "fix or buy new" equation.
If you don't carry parts, you don't need staff to explain which small part
they need.
If you don't carry parts, you don't need staff to install parts or explain
how to install parts.

It's not evil not to carry parts. It's just a different business model.

Over time, this business model will fit some aspects of the business better
than others.
It fits children's bikes pretty well, because people want inexpensive bikes
and they don't have to last long.
It doesn't fit the adult enthusiast market as well, which is why LBS's have
tended to be more successful there.