Old July 16th 17, 08:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default Piece of thick old tube instead of patch?

On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 09:47:21 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

Got a couple of thick tubes that are damaged because of the #%&@!!
Gatorksin side wall blow-outs back when I used those tires. Expensive at
around $17/pop, don't want to throw away. Fixing small tears of 1/10" or
so with REMA patches works but only for 3-6 month, then they hiss
through and I get a slow leak. I can ride home but it's annoying.

Using Slime Rubber Cement, is it possible to glue a roughened chunk of
tube material on there instead of a REMA patch or is that a recipe for
another flat? If not, are there better (= thicker) patches than REMA?

If the tire and the patch are not sufficiently flexible, they will
move relative to each other when stretched, causing the glue joint to
crack. I would make the patch with as thin and flexible rubber
material as possible so that the stretch distance is limited by rubber
tire, not the patch.

If you use REMA patches, you get a chemical vulcanization seal. If
you use a piece of inner tube and some random rubber cement, I don't
know what you'll get.

I couldn't determine if Slime Rubber Cement was the same as Rema
Vulcanizing Fluid. This may help:
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/general-cycling-discussion/slime-vs-rema-351443.html
Maybe try some of these:
https://www.google.com/#q=vulcanizing+cement
You may want to do a peel strength test.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D