Old July 16th 17, 09:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Piece of thick old tube instead of patch?

On Sunday, July 16, 2017 at 9:47:26 AM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
Got a couple of thick tubes that are damaged because of the #%&@!!
Gatorksin side wall blow-outs back when I used those tires. Expensive at
around $17/pop, don't want to throw away. Fixing small tears of 1/10" or
so with REMA patches works but only for 3-6 month, then they hiss
through and I get a slow leak. I can ride home but it's annoying.

Using Slime Rubber Cement, is it possible to glue a roughened chunk of
tube material on there instead of a REMA patch or is that a recipe for
another flat? If not, are there better (= thicker) patches than REMA?

Latest advertisement for Kenda Valkyrie Pro - "bead to bead belt". Might be something to look into. The prices in the magazine are preposterous but usually the Ebay places or Amazon can get you descent prices and delivery.