Old March 23rd 12, 03:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

Default Smart Cycles Much Like Smart Cars

On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 13:31:38 +0000 (UTC), Ian Smith
wrote:

On Thu, 22 Mar 2012, Bret Cahill wrote:

To cheat the wind and save fuel a lot of work has been done using
computer controls to bunch vehicles closely together on the
freeway. A motorist could pull out of the pack to exit anytime.

Has anything been done with this with bicycles? It would certainly
change the nature of criteriums.

Has anyone ever noticed that you go faster with less effort if you
bunch bicycles closely together on the road?

Ooh, dunno. You'd need a special name for the bunch of cyclists
though. If lots of people were there all pedalling on their bikes you
could call it pedal-lot-on.

That's a bit of a mouthful though, so maybe abbreviate it by dropping
some syllables.

How about pe-lot-on? 'Peloton'. I think that rolls of the tongue
nicely. I wonder if I can persuade anyone to use the term?

regards, Ian SMith

peloton : a rabble of cyclists