Old January 29th 09, 09:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Naqerj

Default Guides, maps, GPS tips for cycling in Lowestoft area?

Eric wrote:
Hello everyone,

This summer we're going on holiday to Lowestoft and I think I'll take
my recumbent bicycle with me. I love cycling, but I hate stopping
to look at the map all the time (being a spoilt Dutch cyclist).
Last 2 times I tried cycling in the UK I had a hard time finding my
way
and when I just followed the signs, I ended up on the busy roads.

My OS Landranger (1:50,000) maps are a bit overwhelming in detail.
It would be ideal to have a map where smaller roads and cycle paths
are 'in the foreground' and where less suitable, busy roads/highways
are 'in the background'. Good 'pre-cooked' route-descriptions would
work well for me as well.

I'd stay with the Landrangers. In East Anglia, if you stay on the map's
yellow roads you'll avoid most of the traffic. If you need to make the
route easier to follow at a glance you could plan the route in advance
and use a highlighter pen to make it stand out.

I use a GPS - but only to track where I've been, not to tell me where to
go - so can't comment on that idea.
--
Andrew