Old September 20th 19, 05:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
NFN Smith[_2_]

Default AG: Special clothing for the bike

Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 9/18/2019 12:19 AM, Vladimir Sedach wrote:
Joy Beeson writes:

I don't want to fray the hems of my only seeing-a-lawyer jeans, and I
don't keep safety pins in the left-side pocket.

Never tried safety pins. I tight-roll the hems 1980s style, works
great.

Starting back in the 1970s, I tried tucking my cuffs into my socks. The
cuffs slipped out. Then I tried rolling the cuffs up. That took too
long, and if not done perfectly, the cuffs slipped out. I tried pants
clips made of spring steel, and reflective ones made of nylon fabric and
velcro. I tried thick rubber bands.

Most of those would work for a while, but eventually come loose enough
that my dress trousers (when I was riding to work) would end up with
some chain grease on them.

Safety pins work for me. I flip the front of the cuffs to the outside,
wrap them tightly around my ankle and pin them. They stay pinned and
never come loose.

Switching to a waxed chain helped too, but the pins are more important.

When I was in college, I had a couple of different straps that were
about 9" long and between half and full inch wide. Velcro at the ends,
and reflective tape on the outside. One was a braded strap with velcro
sewn to the outside, the other was entirely plastic, where the entire
outside was reflective. Besides keeping the pant leg out of the chain,
I found the effectiveness to be especially useful, since I was out
frequently after dark. When I was done riding, I don't remember if I
threw the strap in the pocket of my backpack (probably) or simply looped
around my locking cable.

Just for grins, I took a quick look at Amazon, and found a number of
representative samples, and probably could find several more by varying
the search terms.
https://www.amazon.com/slp/velcro-pa...e3mdmg5uccf9w7

Smith