Old August 17th 19, 02:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Replacing a lost toolkit

On 8/16/2019 8:35 PM, bob prohaska wrote:
sms wrote:
On 8/16/2019 4:12 PM, bob prohaska wrote:

Beyond the obvious (tire levers, patch kit and spare tube) what have
folks found worth carrying to fend off routine trouble? My kit

Thanks for reading!

bob prohaska

Last year I finally had a broken chain while out on a ride and got to
use my chain tool for the first time in about 30 years. Well that's not
quite right, I have used it to help other people when their derailleur
broke and turned their bike into a one speed so they could limp to a
shop or to home. On a long tour I would take a freewheel tool and spare
spokes, but never used either.

Are modern chains riveted, since master links can now be had for
derailleur chains? My present chain didn't require a tool. It was
already close enough in length, I just put the master link in.

As to seat bags, the ones I have been using are these
https://www.amazon.com/BV-Bicycle-Strap-Saddle-Cycling/dp/B00A3W8FFM?th=1&psc=1

The large size is just large enough to fit a small high-pressure pump if
you choose the pump carefully. I think that I paid less than $11.99 when
I bought mine (I bought several a few years ago) but $11.99 is not too
bad. A comparable quality bag from Trek or Specialized would be at least
2x the cost.

That looks like a workable option and not very different from the bag that
went missing. I'd prefer to buy from a LBS if the cost penalty isn't too
outrageous.

Thanks for posting!

bob prohaska

Single speed chain and classic 4, 5, 6, 7 speed chain rivets
are easily removed and re set[1].

Eight, 9, 10, 11, 12 speed chain has rivets flush with the
outer plate face, the plates are thinner and harder, and
the fit between rivet and plate is tighter. Setting a rivet
not only takes more push but the rivet must be exactly
centered and uniform. Prior efforts included tapered-guide
replacement rivets before even the the most notable victim
of "We Didn't Invent That" disease capitulated to the
superior snaplink.

With modern two-pivot-spring changers, wrap the chain around
largest front and rear sprockets, add 2 rivets ( or three,
as needed, to end with a complete link) then pass it through
your changers and join it. Older lower-spring-only changers
usually want more chain, as much as you can add without
excessive sag in small-small, although various setups do vary.

[1] taking care to leave the moved rivet still hanging in
one plate, not fully removed.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/