Old August 20th 19, 12:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

Default Interesting heart related observation on today's ride

On 8/19/2019 12:09 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I went for a 40 kilometers ride today and the ride involved a fair bit of rolling hills. An interesting observation was that at the top of the hills my heart rate was nearly 20 bpm LOWER that when I was walking around my apartment or just standing around talking to someone.

Anyone else experience similar drops in heart rate whilst exercising compared to their normal heart rate?

Not exactly what you asked, and probably won't explain your experience,
at least not fully, but:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skeletal-muscle_pump

My /perceived/ experience is that my heart rate continues to rise well
after I crest a climb, and indeed may jump upward right as I ease off at
the crest. This could all be me hallucinating; I've never followed it
really closely with the HRM.

If my perceptions are indeed correct, my best-guess explanation is that
while climbing, my leg muscles are doing a lot of blood-pumping. When I
coast at the crest, the "muscle-pump" shuts down and blood pressure
drops a bit, stimulating heart rate to rise.

Mark J.