Old August 22nd 19, 12:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Darn near lost my sole early this morning!

On 2019-08-19 03:11, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Very early this morning I put Look Delta cleats onto my Louis Garneau
road-bicycling shoes and then went for a ride of just over a
kilometer to go to a store and to test the placement of the cleats
because I'm going on a long ride later this morning.

Everything was fine until I unclipped my left foot. This is what I
found when i looked at the bottom of my shoe because the shoe was
making a rather loud clacking noise with every step.

https://flic.kr/p/2h1jKEy

I was NOT a happy bicyclist then.

Just imagine it coming off during a hard-pedal section.

Fortunately the checkout clerk at the store found a heavy-duty rubber
band she then gave me and that I was able to wrap around the shoe.
With that I was at least able to ride home.

This is not the first Louis Garneau product that has failed me rather
early in its life but it is the last one. I'm done with Louis Garneau
stuff. It's not cheap as far as prices go buy it's cheap quality. I
was amazed at how little glue was use to attach the some to the rest
of the shoe. Right now the show is heavily clamped with two big
clamps and a bunch of nylon toe-straps whilst the Gorilla Glue I used
to try and reattach the sole to the shoe fully cures which is stated
to be in 24 hours.

Aren't you supposed to use E6000 or Shoe Goo for that job? I believe
there are some plastics that Gorilla Glue does not adhere to very well,
otherwise being a good product.

I'll have to do something similar now because I completely wore down the
sole of the orthopedic boot after my last bicycle crash. Those things
don't even last 50 miles.

... It's a good thing I have a pair of vintage Adidas
Eddy Merckx Competition Shoes I was able to put another pair of Look
Delta cleats on so I can use those shoes for today's ride.

In my experience and in my honest opinion Louis Garneau quality has
plummeted and I've decided that today was the last straw and I'm done
with this brand of bicycling gear. My Adidas Eddy Merckx shoes were
bought in 1986 and I had the bicycle shop drill them for the Look
Delta cleats at the time when I bought them and those shoes are still
going strong.

Wow, but they must smell pretty bad by now :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

The Gorilla Glue is FAR superior to Shoe Goo. I've use Shoe Goo on regular shoes in the past and they didn't last long.

+1

--
- Frank Krygowski