Old January 7th 08, 10:17 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers

Default Cadel on Australian drivers

AndrewJ wrote:
Adrian wrote:

It was the first one that takes the cake though

Heading in to Geelong in the morning; close to eight a.m., increasing
traffic, nearly every car seemed to contain one or two bikes and
riders. As the traffic slowed from an 80 to 70km/hr section and
slowed further for some traffic lights I saw an idiot approach from
the rear. Swerving through the three lanes of traffic he was
obviously very important and on a very urgent mission. As he passed
I saw that not only was the idiot on the phone, steering with one
hand and zig-zagging through traffic, but that the bike was on the
rear seat, he was in his lycra and he was on his way to the start of
the ride.... Approaching the lights he must have received last
minute phone instructions as he served from the right-most lane,
across three lanes of traffic, over the start of the traffic island
and made it, tyres screeching, around the left turn and towards
Corio bay.

Ayee. Truly truth is stranger than fiction, especially given the
purpose
of Amy's ride.

I'm afraid this is in support of my position: that cars and bicycles
can't really co-exist and that what we need are high quality roadways
dedicated specifically
to bicycles. I'm in the education business, and I frankly don't think
that
your average yobbo is educable.

I would take a different position from this experience. It seems to me that
this 'cyclist' is too dangerous and stupid to be allowed on the road in a
motor vehicle, and the police should arrest anyone in a car wearing lycra.

Of course then you would find our friend of this posting hassling your
poor low speed average cyclist on said road. But it's amazing the
impact
a stick has in the spokes....

I believe that would be assault.

Theo