Old August 16th 06, 12:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Rick

Default Adventure Cycling Maps SUCK!

NYC XYZ wrote:
They're printed on plain paper! And they're so small, and packed with
somewhat superfluous info (who the hell cares about restaurants along
the way, really).

1) All paper is not created equal. The paper we wrote notes on in a
previous career was constructed so that it became 'oatmeal' when
exposed to liquid - good for its purpose. The paper that Adventure
Cycling uses for the maps is waterproof. Not plain paper ...
waterproof paper.

2) Some of us do like to stop at restaurants, at least on occasions.
The maps are not just for the oatmeal and gruel crowd.

Just disappointed. They should be laminated, at the least, or printed
on sturdier paper -- this is for touring, after all! Also, they really
should be bigger -- perhaps better as a spiral-bound book?

And if they are bigger or spiral bound into a book how would you fit
them into your handlebar map holder?

And more
comprehensive -- I find googlemaps more useful!

And how useful is Google Maps from the handlebar of your bike?

- rick