Old August 16th 06, 03:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
recycled-one

Default Adventure Cycling Maps SUCK!

"Rich Clark" wrote in message

"recycled-one" wrote in message

"Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman" wrote in message
oups.com...

Rick wrote:
And how useful is Google Maps from the handlebar of your bike?

One must carry a laptop on tour so one can read and post to the Usenet
cycling groups while at rest stops.

I've often fantasized about a dream bike with handlebar mounted notebook
pc with cell/satellite connections.

Sounds more like a nightmare to me -- in which the next thing is that I
have to start answering urgent emails from the office while doing a solo
century through Lancaster County!

That isn't a concern for me, but I can see how it might be a negative for
those with employers demanding all-the-time access. OTOH wouldn't it be cool
to be able to cycle when you are on the clock and doing your job?

Ideally the device would be between a notebook computer and a
Blackberry/Trio in size with some sort of dual thumb controls. It goes
without saying that it would have to be weather and shock resistant.