Old December 30th 10, 09:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

Default I'm ashamed to admit I was conned.

On Dec 30, 9:25*am, Jay Beattie wrote:
On Dec 30, 8:23*am, "Duane Hebert" wrote:

"landotter" wrote in message

On Dec 30, 8:07 am, Cicero Venatio wrote:

That said, on a hot day, I got nothing against putting on a lycra
monkeysuit and going for a long haul on my SS roadie bike. It's got
spds--but I'll never ever buy another road shoe.

Sorry to hijack this thread a bit but I'm wondering what the big
deal is about road shoes.

I have spds on both my bikes (sport tour and road.) *I have a pair of
Shimano MTB shoes
that I use with both bikes. *My pedals are full pedals with the spd on one
side and grips on the other.

I get grief from roadie buddies but I'm not sure I understand why. *I've
used
Look pedals before and I don't see a big difference.

They say that Look type pedals are easier to get into and out of but I don't
see that. *They also talk about hot spots on the spd cleats but I don't
notice
that either. *Maybe it's because of the full size pedals that I have.

I can actually park my bike and walk into the office with these shoes. *The
cleats
are recessed into the sole.

Part of my commute is through a park with gravelly trails. *I can unclip
and use the pedal side for when I'm sliding through the gravel.

I can take off from the red light without fumbling with the cleat until I
get
across the intersection.

The cleats seem to last longer and the shoes are $150 bucks.

I can use the same shoes in the spinning classes in the off season.

What's the argument against this setup on a road bike?

None. *It's a matter of preference. *I use SPDs on my commuter and
Look Keo on my racing bike. *The Look pedals hold my foot more firmly.
With limber shoes, the Looks also provide better foot support and do
not concentrate forces over a small area. *This is not much of a
problem for me since both my commuting and racing shoes have CF soles.
The Look pedals are also lighter, to the extent that is a selling
point.

Brad mentions road sprinters pulling out of SPDs, and frankly, that is
a real problem for me with my M520s. *Even with new cleats and tension
at max, my right foot pulls out frequently. *I have a really mobile
right ankle due to injuries and surgery, and that results in frequent
disengagement that I do not get on my Keos. -- Jay Beattie.

Mostly a +1. There's arguably some very slight aero differences. Once
I decided to go to Crank Brothers for my cyclocross racing, I
converted all my bikes over to their pedals as I could. The advantages
for me are that I'm always walkable (hate Looks for the same reasons
others do here), and that any pair of shoes works on any bike (a big
deal, because Imelda Marcos on two wheels that I am, I have two sets
of summer shoes and two sets of winter boots, all with Crank Bros.
cleats).

The SPDs can indeed pull out, though I had no problems when I raced in
them. The CB's don't pull out when new, but they do pull out when worn
to the point of needing replacement.