Old May 4th 17, 08:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

Default frustration with bikes and cars

writes:

I believe that there is a note of learning to drive
properly among many commuters as well. I asked an
American/Chinese why Chinese drivers are so bad.
He said that in China you have to fight for
everything that you can get including the simple
space to live and that carries over to their driving
here. So perhaps in a generation or two that will
lighten up.

It might also be that they haven't been driving for
that long, not on this scale at least.

In the 70s didn't almost everyone go in Mao uniform on
the Flying Dove to some state-own factory or office?
If everyone are on bikes and not in cars, a more
anarchist style can be tolerated and actually perhaps
isn't even a bad thing. Bring that same style to
motorized traffic you might get into trouble tho.

In the bicycle mags they say biking (on bicycles) are
on its way back in China. But everyone who has been
there and I ask say traffic is total chaos and no one
ever goes by bicycle as that will put them down the
social ladder. Having recently achieved some level of
wealth, I suppose they are more sensitive to such
notions than we are in the west. (?)

Social politics aside what this will do to the
mental/physical health and pollution in China
shouldn't be hard to guess.

And I don't think Chinese people "fights" more than
anyone else in general.

--
underground experts united ....
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573