Old April 11th 05, 06:15 AM
CEarly

Default How quickly will my bars or stem fail?

I am aware of the recent thread regarding handlebar/stem fit issues, but
am still wondering how fast either component is likely to fail if I cram my
25.8mm dia bars into the 25.4mm clamp on a stem I'd like to use. The
emminent Mr. Brown's voluminous website states that 25.4mm clamp area
diameter is the "ISO standard" for road bars, but you sure wouldn't know
that from what's on the market in the US. Everything is 25.8, 26.0, 31.7,
or 31.8mm. A fair number of bars, including the Ritchey Pro bars that I
have and like the shape of, are 25.8mm. At least in my perusing of stems
there are few, if any, in a 25.8 clamp dia.

Yeah, I know I can buy a Nitto bar in 25.4mm dia, but I don't like the
shape.

So, what's the deal? Are 25.8mm dia bars "...designed to be usable in
either ISO (25.4) or Italian (26.0) size stems", as Sheldon says on his
site, or not? BTW, I know they work fine in 26.0mm stems because I have
many miles on that arrangement.

TIA,

Cal