Old November 1st 17, 01:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default To cycle is to live dangerously...[

On Tuesday, October 31, 2017 at 7:30:16 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 31 Oct 2017 06:39:21 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Monday, October 30, 2017 at 3:26:44 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Monday, October 30, 2017 at 11:51:55 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Monday, October 30, 2017 at 7:09:00 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:

How is that job application going?

Which one? I could get a dozen jobs were I to move from California. Since my wife won't go for that I have to watch Silicon Valley dissolving in the belief that you need a formal education to perform tasks that a technician could do.

Abbot Laboratories hasn't called yet. They are offering half the wage that their position would require. Do you suppose that is a serious job or an "it would be nice" position?

The electric car company to offer competition to Tesla seems to be falling apart now. They have advertised for engineering staff but never seem to hire anyone. They too have your really intelligent mindset that you need a formal education in order to screw everything you touch up.

Several other medical instrument companies cannot even read my resume because the headhunters will not submit a resume of someone that hasn't worked in three years. Again you cannot perform simple duties without a formal education.

Sounds like the places you've applied to want a formal education.

That's not illogical, you know. Yes, you tell us (and probably them) that you
are wonderfully smart and a high-performing worker. But they may reasonably
suspect that if you never earned a degree, you're not as smart or as motivated
as you claim.

Yes, I know there are exceptions. But based on what you say here, you're no
Bill Gates.

Where did that get you again?

:-) It got me a very interesting and satisfying career, lots of respect,
opportunities for interesting travel, and a good retirement in a desirable
community. I've had (and still have) opportunities to contribute to the
community. I've provided well for my family. And hey, I can even afford ground
beef!

- Frank Krygowski

Bill Gates? Let me guess - you think that he a Jobs were technical people.

Bill Gates was a computer programmer. Whether that is a "technical
person" or not may be open to argument.

I sincerely doubt that. Windows was purchased from a failing company and if memory served was Q-DOS and became MS-DOS and was almost unbelievably bad. But it WAS an operating system and I would write my own applications around it.

I think that Gates and Allen hired someone that actually knew how to program and that Gates never had enough smarts to even know what side of a keyboard the keys were on. But this OS ran on the IBM PC which almost guaranteed its success.

Unix was also an OS for the PC but was never successful because no company maintained it. It was some student written affair that didn't make anyone money.