Old November 1st 17, 09:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

Default To cycle is to live dangerously...[

Yeah, some of these other engineers also didn't have degrees. So what? It was MY judgement and not that of a headhunter or a HR person to make that decision.

I'm surprised that a section manager would have no input as to
qualifications of people applying for jobs he would supervise.

Well, isn't that hoity-toity. This is more of a problem today than it was then. Human Resources are destroying businesses and there seems to be no end in sight.

Totally. It has been like this for decades. I remember hearing in the early 2000s that Google is having incredible problems with their HR, who are a bunch of snotty 25-y/olds with history degrees who think that they're hot **** cuz they work at google, and who go swaggering down the middle of castro st in Mtn View with their Google badges swinging from their necks, and who are deciding who gets to work at Google, much to the consternation of the hiring managers. Obviously this has not destroyed Google, but... there was clearly a huge problem.

I just got an email two days ago from some head-hunter saying that he had a job he wanted to discuss with me and when could he call. I gave him 3 pm yesterday.

No call, then another email telling me that the hiring manager wanted to know what salary range I would be asking.

????? I had NO idea what the job was and they're asking me what salary range I would accept? THIS is today's head-hunters and human resources.

LOL yep. They weren't quite as bad 30 yrs ago in the 80s but got so about 25 years ago. What gets me is when they ask you to commit to saying yes should you pass the interview and get the offer. I don't ask the employer to commit to hiring me just because I want the job!

Headhunters are so slimey it's unreal. It took me 5 years to figure out to say "Sunnyvale" when they ask you casually where you work now. And "QA" or "Fred" when asked "Who you reportin to there?" I had to be hit over the head with it. I was standing in a new manager's office one day when he got a fone call, and from his end I concluded that he was talking to the headhunter who had just placed me there, who was going down my resume and calling all my previous employers soliciting business. He had mistakenly started at the top of my resume instead of with the previous position, and completely spaced.

The headhunter who placed me at my current job keeps sending me emails about other positions...

The headhunter