Old July 19th 03, 03:20 AM
Dan Musicant

Default Couple questions about bike tires

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 22:38:43 GMT, (Eric Murray) wrote:

:In article ,
an Musicant wrote:
:them without them going bad? Is there something you can do to protect
:them, like an application of Armor All? I also have many individual
:packets of Turtle Wax Clear Guard protectant that I could try. I wonder
:if anyone uses this stuff with either stored tires or tires that they
:are riding in an effort to prolong their life.
:
:I wouldn't do that. Those "protectants" make rubber
or vinyl) very slick. Not good for traction!
:
:If you store tires in a dark cool place and away from ozone
i.e. electric motors) they last for a while.
:
:I also have one not cheap new tire, a Michelin 27 x 1.38 inch tire, and
:it too seems to have lost its suppleness and I'm afraid to try using it.
:
:I would be too.
:
:If I was just riding around the city I wouldn't be so afraid to just use
:these new but apparently deteriorated tires and see what happens but
:since I'm doing descents at sometimes pretty high speeds I don't want to
:take unnecessary chances.
:
:Speaking of chances, do you have reasonably fresh brake pads?

Probably not fresh enough, now that you mention it. There's one part of
the descent where there's a traffic signal. It's usually green, but when
it's not I have trouble stopping in time. Cars have no problem. I think
I better switch out my brake pads. Thanks.

Dan
:
:Eric
: