Old December 5th 19, 11:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

Default Damn BB Problems

On Tuesday, December 3, 2019 at 4:27:50 PM UTC-8, Tom Kunich wrote:
I have a Redline cross bike and it had an XT crank on it that had a 24-38 rings. The bottom bracket appears to be an XT also but the only thing on it was "mountain" on both sides and the markings are "BB-MT800".

I pulled off the cranks and tried to replace them with a Reynolds 24 mm shaft compact chainset I tripped across while I was looking in my parts bin(s)

When I inserted it, I discovered that the end cap of the Reynolds crank was missing. Also it appears that the crank is about a 1/4th inch too short for that bottom bracket.

Tearing the universe apart I still haven't found the endcap which is smaller thread than the XT crank.`

So I need to figure out what BB the Reynolds is supposed to use. The Reynolds site was no help. Plus I can't find out what the size and thread of the endcap is and they make enough 2nd manufacturer end caps that they probably make one that will fit for $5-6.

Anyone got any information on these things?

BTW for anyone that is interested - the 24 mm shaft isn't as stiff as the 30 mm one but the BEARINGS are a lot better.

The FSA MegaExo has changed their shaft from 24 mm to 19 mm for who the hell knows why? Maybe that allowed them to use a standard instead of a custom bearing.

Shimano hasn't responded to me about whether their road groups will fit an oversize BB shell.