Old September 16th 03, 04:03 PM
Simon Mason

Default Can you legally cycle on a public right of way in Scotland?

"Simon Brooke" wrote in message
. uk...
I'm just writing a paper for my community council on developing cycle
touring around here, and I was working on a list of landowners we'd
have to negotiate with, when it occurred to me that possibly it's
legal to cycle on a public right of way anyway, in which case the
problem is simpler. I _do_ cycle on most of the local off-road public
rights of way and (with one exception) have no trouble, but that may
just be because I'm local and known...

Does anyone know _for a fact_ whether or not it is generally legal to
cycle on established public rights of way in Scotland, and, if not,
how one distinguishes between routes it's legal to cycle and routes
it's only legal to walk? And how does the Right to Roam legislation
affect this (if at all)?

I think if it's a footpath, you are not allowed to cycle, but if it's a
bridle path, then cyclists and horse riders can use it. The ordnance survey
map will show both types.
--
Simon Mason
Anlaby