Old August 24th 04, 01:16 AM
warren

In article , Bob Schwartz
wrote:

TritonRider wrote:
From: warren

7. Anyone that has talked to an Italian doctor.

7a. Tell public that your contact with Italian doctor was innocent
seeking of legal training advice.

Just because Ferrari knows a lot about doping and has probably helped
riders do it does not mean he can't still provide valuable training
advice. The rider chooses for himself whether or not to accept any
advice provided. Or did you mean some other Italian doctor? All I get
from the one I know is legal training advice.

I'm pretty sure that Andy and Kyle could get together to come up with a hell
of a doping program if they chose to, so does that mean we are all suspect
for
talking to them?
Bill C

One commonality between Andy, Kyle, and the guy Warren get his advice from
is that they are all less well off financially than that other Italian
doctor. He charges a high premium for his advice. In addition there is
other baggage involved in working with him in that lots of people (not
just Lafferty) will assume you are doping. Voet said as much in his book.
The value of the advice you get from him has to outweigh the cost and
other factors involved in working with him.

So if LANCE is getting legal training advice from Ferrari then he must
be getting advice that is significantly more valuable than that available
from Testa. Or Andy or Kyle. Because the cost, by a number of measures,
is way higher.

It is really an economic decision.

I won't divulge the prices paid to Max for his advice but I will say
that pro riders in Europe pay him a significant amount for each month.
Just because Ferrari is higher profile to you says nothing about what
each guy is worth, or paid. Remember that Max is paid by one of the top
riders (Cioni) on a top team, and was paid well by Mapei before that.

The thing with Lance and Ferrari is relatively simple and there are
several reasons why Lance would work with Ferrari.

There are not an abundance of guys like Ferrari that are available to
coach individual riders like Lance because most of the other
well-qualified guys are working full time for a European pro team, or
in Max's case, he is a full-time MD at UC Davis Sports Medicine, and if
he stopped doing that he'd accept one of the several standing offers he
has to coach a top pro team. So basically, Lance can only work with who
is available.

Second, Lance and Ferrari know each other well, and for a long time and
this makes their whole process more effective.

Finally, Ferrari has a relatively high interest in pushing the envelope
for what is legal or ethical means for an athlete and this approach is
probably attractive to Lance, even if Lance draws a line below that for
himself that most of us would agree with.

-WG