Old August 8th 20, 03:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Amazon and Customer practices

On 8/7/2020 5:24 PM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

Some stores you can go in and others are curbside. Some are by appointment and some are entirely closed, including the one down the street from my house. We have 50 bike shops in PDX, so finding a Di2 wire isn't a problem. And most of my shipped internet purchases are shipped from across town when I get lazy and don't want to go to Western Bikeworks near the airport. https://www.westernbikeworks.com/ (I think their showroom is also closed). Great daily deals, but I feel guilty about the packing material. It takes maybe two days from order to delivery.

A Di2 wire is something that virtually every bicycle shop that sells
higher end bikes would carry, though they come in a lot of different
lengths and they might not have every one. It's not likely to be much
cheaper buying it online. My preferences is to patronize the LBS for
items that you know they'll have and stick to online sales for items
that the LBS doesn't carry.

The bicycle shops in the Bay Area are mostly all open, and are very
busy. My friend's boyfriend, who was long retired from his tech career,
had been working part time at a high-end shop and when Covid-19 hit.
They told him that they didn't need him to come in, believing that sales
would plunge. Then they called him, in a panic, begging him to come back
to assemble bikes. Finally, additional stock is beginning to come in
from China and the bicycle shortage is starting to ease. But some parts
are in short supply, i.e. tubes, as people try to get their older
bicycles in working order.